Site Superintendent (Toronto)
About the job
Valour Group is an integrated team of companies that operate, develop, and construct residential and commercial real estate.
Our sister company, Pro Funds Mortgages, is a boutique mortgage brokerage with over 30 years of expertise in real estate acquisitions, development, and mortgage finance. We are a fast growing and dynamic team and have an immediate opportunity in our Burlington, Ontario headquarters!
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Vice President, of Construction, the Site Superintendent oversees and directs construction activities that take place on the worksite. The Site Superintendent is ultimately responsible for site safety, quality control, schedule maintenance, and cost control. They are heavily involved in planning and organizing site logistics. The Site Superintendent is a detail-oriented with the ability to meet deadlines and work with various personality types. Strong oral and written communication skills are essential in this position. The Site Superintendent is organized and has strong record-keeping skills, maintaining documentation of all site activities.
This role services sites located in Toronto.
- Meet with clients and Project Manager prior to construction to plan the best locations for material staging, long term storage, washroom facilities, site office, construction access points, craning access, emergency travel routes and other facilities required for operations.
- Review and understand the contract documents, drawings and specifications. Gain a detailed understanding of the general scope of work, conditions or exclusions to the scope of work, contract type, and general obligations to satisfy the contract.
- Review the project schedule with the Project Manager and make preliminary adjustments. Establish lines of communication with the subcontractors and suppliers and ensure their ability to meet the schedule’s demands.
- Forecast required forces and materials for site activities performed by own-forces.
- Attend & participate in trade interference meetings to review drawings and identify conflicts.
- Set up site office, arrange for washroom facilities, establish construction access points and arrange for fencing as required.
- Work with Project Coordinator to ensure all MOL required postings and documentation is on site, maintained and updated.
- Ensure first aid kit, emergency evacuation plan, and other site-specific requirements are established.
- Meet with Project Manager, Owner, Landlord, Building Operations to understand existing facility requirements and protocols, and to establish lines of communication to coordinate deliveries, after hours work, etc.
- Organize kick-off meeting with subcontractors and suppliers to outline the site’s safety requirements, your lunch & break protocols, review the schedule and tour the site.
- Continually monitor site safety and take immediate action to rectify all emerging safety deficiencies.
- Maintain site safety to MOL, AEC and Valour Group standards. Maintain site records according to forms and documents provided on Procore and in the Site Super’s documentation binder.
- Ensure all subcontractors have provided a Form 1000, receive project safety orientation and that all workers on site have proper and current training certifications.
- Record pertinent site information in daily construction reports on Procore.
- Continually monitor and expedite the construction schedule. Document and notify delinquent subcontractors in writing immediately when scheduled commitments are not met. Update project schedule with Project Manager on a monthly basis.
- Take daily progress photos of each trade’s work and upload on Procore.
- Take daily photos of garbage bins to monitor trade’s use of bins.
- Fill out & have trades sign off on Subcontractor Backcharge Form in Procore for use of bins and other appropriate backcharges.
- Host and minute Foreman Meetings on a weekly basis to collect concerns, schedule input, urgent questions, delays, etc.
- Prepare and distribute 2 week look ahead schedules (Microsoft Excel) on a weekly basis for the following two weeks of activities, describing each trade’s required tasks.
- Monitor workmanship and installation details of individual trades. Ensure conformance to contract documents.
- Coordinate and schedule, with the subcontractors, all required inspections by Municipal Inspectors, Engineers, Architect, 3rd Party Consultants, Owners, ESA, TSSA, and other governing authorities. Ensure work requiring inspection is not concealed prior to sign-offs.
- Prepare and submit, with the subcontractors, Requests For Information to the PM & PC where we discover interferences, lack of details, unspecified or mis-specified materials and equipment.
- Prepare and submit to the Project Manager, with the subcontractors, estimated additional costs for required work not specified in the contract documents.
- Schedule required labour, carpenter, equipment and operating forces in advance for site activities performed by own-forces.
- Order and arrange delivery of materials required for site activities performed by own-forces. This should be done in advance and in bulk where possible.
- Record descriptions & durations of all activities performed by own forces.
- Cost-code all employee timesheets, all packing slips, all receipts to the Project Budget cost codes provided by the PM and deliver to office weekly.
- Email master timesheet for site staff to office by 9am every Monday morning.
- Coordinate delivery and pickup of rentals, ensuring rentals are only on-site when required for work activities.
- Maintain a record of hard copy As-Built conditions where structural and architectural installations differed from the drawings. Keep notes as to why the installations differed from the drawings and notify the PM.
- Work with Project Manager to establish a list of required inspection reports for permit closures, and required O&M manual documents for the Owner.
- Schedule required inspections for permit closures and obtain inspection reports.
- Meet with Project Manager, Owner and Subcontractors to establish a list of equipment that will require commissioning and/or Owner training.
- Schedule subcontractors, suppliers, manufacturers as required for equipment commissioning and training.
- Obtain reports of commissioning activities. Record date and attendance of Owner training activities.
- Work with Project Manager to confirm O&M manuals satisfy the Owner’s and Consultant’s requirements.
- Schedule de-mobilization of washroom, office and storage facilities.
- Ensure post-construction site conditions are equal to or exceed the pre-construction site conditions and satisfy the Owner and/or Landlord.
Valcon Supervisor Safety Requirements
- Daily – Pre-use Inspection (Forklifts, Ariel Platforms, Telehandler, etc)
- Daily – Covid Screening
- Weekly – Toolbox Talks
- Weekly – Site Inspections
- Monthly – First Aid / Fire Extinguisher Inspection
- Monthly – JHSC
- As needed – Incident Reports – Please ensure a report is done for both incidents and near misses.
- As needed – Orientations should be done for ALL trades onsite.
- 8-10 years construction supervision experience, preferably in low-rise residential construction methods.
- 5 years experience in a General Manager / Site Supervisor role preferred.
- Post-secondary education (e.g., Construction Technology, Carpentry, Civil Engineering, etc.) is preferred.
- Hands-on experience in various aspects of midrise commercial construction.
- Expert in reading and reviewing blueprints / floor plans.
- Results-orientated professional with the ability to hold others accountable to high standards.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with diverse groups of people.
- Valid G Driver’s License.
- Must be able to perform physically demanding tasks that may require lifting up to 50lbs, bending, twisting, and standing for long periods of time.
WHAT WE OFFER
We are a work environment that cares about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual. At Valour Group, you will have the ability to make a difference and have a lasting impact. We are committed to continuous learning and professional development with excellent opportunity for advancement within the organization.
- Join a dynamic, collaborative, high performing team of professionals.
- Work in a modern, spacious office, with impressive amenities.
- Excel with opportunities professional development and career advancement.
- Participate in frequent employee engagement events.
- Receive a competitive salary and health benefits plan.
Valour Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.